It has been theorised that a chief reason why women outlive men is because they sleep longer
We need 7-9 hrs with more people needing 9 than 7
Sleep is when hormones are manufactured – insomnia causes endocrine disruption.
Accelerated aging, memory loss, hypertension, depression, type 2 diabetes and obesity have all been linked to sleep disorders
Dream recall can be boosted by supplementing with Vit B6. I.e. 1xB group morning & night and 50mg of B6. 3 times a day with meals (250mg per day). Include 15mg of zinc at breakfast.
Ten Sleep Secrets
- Go to bed before 11pm – Most repair & recovery happens between 11am – 1pm
- Go to bed & wake up at the same time each day – even weekends
- Sleep in complete darkness – blackout blinds, curtains or a sleep mask. Light disrupts production of melatonin & serotonin from the pineal gland.
- Establish a bedtime ritual for relaxation i.e. Chamomile tea, hot milk drinks, aromatherapy, relaxing music, cotton bedclothes including cotton socks in winter. Deep breathing if you wake up.
- Avoid stimulants like caffeine, alcohol & spicy foods at dinner.
- Excess vigorously in the morning – preferably not the evening as it can stimulate some people.
- 3 hrs before bed, eat a high protein snack i.e. beef jerky or turkey to provide L-tryptophan to produce melatonin & serotonin – Combine a handful of berries with the protein to help tryptophan cross the blood-brain barrier.
- Avoid excessive alcohol – its helps to fall asleep but you will not enjoy the deeper stages of REM sleep.
- 18-22ºC is the ideal sleeping temp.
- Take a calcium & magnesium supplement.